One is a lonely number,
Standing alone in silence.
With my words spoken loudly,
Only heard in my own mind.
Time seems to get in the way,
When it comes to my living.
Though I try to remember,
It always comes at a cost.
I’m always the first to call,
The first to text,
The first to tap a heart
On someone else’s timeline.
My own posts sit quietly,
Waiting for replies,
That never quite arrive
Before fading into silence.
Once, we lived the same rhythm,
Same classes, same jokes,
Same after‑school rituals,
All of it feeling unbreakable.
At high‑school graduation,
Promises of friendship for life,
Through visits and calls,
Trying to keep the distance close,
But time, impatient, mischievous,
Loves breaking promises,
Especially ones we made young,
Vanish without warning..
College brought a new rhythm,
New towns, new school,
New friends, new loves,
Unfolding new forms of ourselves.
Overcoming obstacles,
We didn’t know how to introduce,
Who we had become,
To those we left behind.
They married and had children,
Wedding bands, like tiny compasses,
Pointing towards a life,
Balanced between unscripted and routine.
We may no longer walk parallel lives,
But time still remained steadfast,
Filled with endless fulfillment,
With never a dull moment.
When I step into my home,
Silence greets my every move.
I welcome companionship,
With music or TV playing.
With no one to answer to,
My days are predictable,
Filled with structure and leisure,
Even when there’s nothing to do.
Living within time’s comfort,
I balance my days with care,
Anchored with fixed appointments.
Yet flexible in finding new diversions.
Years later it happened,
Our paths crossed once again.
What time tried to tear apart,
A simple “Hello!” returned.
An awkward embrace followed,
Then the empty years of silence,
Melted like the cold winter’s ice
On a warm sunny spring day.
I welcomed the reunion,
Leaving a question to answer.
Why time takes so long to heal,
A rift begging forgiveness.
Brought together once again,
Like a vivid dream replayed.
Pondering over the thought,
How we let time divide us.
Time kept moving forward,
With no rewind button to press.
Robbing us the greatest gift,
A friendship like close siblings.
We reflected on many shared,
Past adventures and encounters.
Memories flooded our minds
With smiles and laughter.
We celebrated friendship,
With new guaranteed pledges.
Renewing old promises,
Shaped by distance and wisdom.
We promised each other,
In not letting time take over
And rear its ugly head,
Rather let it play in our favor.
I released my inner voice,
For it to be heard by all.
With its thundering depth steady,
My words no longer wavering.
When the words no longer linger,
I found my own inner peace.
I am no longer lost,
In my world filled with silence.
Time gently reminded me,
I am still alone in life.
It’s only then I discovered,
One is no longer lonely.
08 July 2026
SOMEWHERE BETWEEN SILENCE AND SOLACE
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment