When most people think of karate, they picture punches, kicks, blocks, kata, or sparring. Those are certainly part of the journey. They are the visible expressions of the art. Yet some of the most enduring lessons I carried away from the dojo had little to do with technique and everything to do with character.
Karate taught me to bow. Not simply as a ritual, but as an acknowledgment that respect is the foundation upon which everything else rests. We bowed when entering the dojo, bowed to our instructors, bowed to our training partners, and bowed when leaving.
Upon bowing in unison, the class excitedly exclaimed,
“Hai sensei”
As we hurried to our individual designated spot for bringing the class to attention for announcements, affirmations and meditation.
As I stood in anticipation, the smell of incense filled the room as our sensei began class with an inspirational poem, one of my favorites, “If” by Rudyard Kipling. This alone gave me goose bumps as it was being read. I remained standing with my eyes closed in reflection and in a state of “mushin”. Mushin is a Japanese term describing a state of mental clarity and free from distraction. On this night, it allowed me to focus completely on the kata before me.
Over time I realized the bow was teaching something deeper. No achievement, rank, or accomplishment exempted us from humility. Every person deserved respect. Every encounter began with gratitude.
Karate taught me patience. Progress seldom arrived in dramatic leaps. It emerged through repetition, correction, and persistence. The belt around my waist changed occasionally but growth occurred in the countless ordinary classes between promotions. There were techniques I struggled to master and skills that developed more slowly than I wished. The dojo became a gentle reminder that meaningful improvement rarely follows our preferred timeline.
Kata is a formal sequence of choreographed martial arts movements and an essential component of advancement through the belt ranks. Not only did the movements have to be memorized, they had to be performed with focus, controlled breathing and snapping kicks, throwing various hand moves and blocking imaginary enemies attacking you. It was the night I dreaded most and even more so on promotion to the next rank in belt, as I hated having all eyes on me. To this day, I still hate being the center of attention. Tonight, was no different except it was only practicing kata to improve our form.
The practice began with the most basic kata performed by white belts preparing for promotion to 8th kyu, or yellow belt. After each group completed its kata, students sat down and observed the next rank. By the end of class, we had watched students through the 4th kyu purple belt rank demonstrate their forms. In between each set of kata, sensei would make comments of the kata’s history and significance of lessons to be learned outside of the obvious physical we all observed. With no recognition beyond sensei’s thanking the rank with a simple “Arigato (insert belt color) obi” fellow seato (student’s name). We watched in admiration as each rank had its turn to perfect the current kata or to perform the new one required for their current rank.
Lessons from kata go beyond the martial arts dojo (martial arts school or place of study) to many aspects of good character essential to live a life well lived. The ones impacting me the most were confidence, perseverance, patience, respect and self-discipline. There were others, but these five stand out as the qualities which helped shape and transition me form an awkward teenager to the adult I became.
Through practice and perfecting to the best of my ability, kata helped me gain confidence in myself. I was able to focus on a goal of achieving the next belt rank. This required me to practice and improve my kata to near perfection. With sharp blocks, defined defense with punches and clean kicks or sweeps to throw the imaginary attacker off balance. With continuous improvement and sensei’s encouragement my confidence grew not just in kata but in all aspects in my life.
The class taught various skills of blocks, strikes and kicks which advanced with our belt ranks. But most importantly it taught responsibility. No instructor could train on my behalf. No belt could hide weaknesses. Ultimately, my progress depended on my effort. The dojo offered guidance and support, but accountability rested with me. It was an early lesson in personal ownership that would later influence my work, relationships, and decisions. Perhaps most important, karate taught self-control.
With each rank the skills in, kumite (fighting) techniques, kata and knowledge of our karate style increased in difficulty and challenge. There were some difficult times where I felt it would have been easier to just throw in the white flag and surrender, just give up and quit. With fellow karate-ka helping push you through the tough moments and being aware someone in rank below you is looking up to you, there was no choice but to persevere and succeed. Everyone around you expected your best effort to persevere and keep working harder at being the very best you can be. Even when knowing you never know who is watching your every move.
Contrary to popular perception, the goal of kumite was never to create aggression. The goal was to cultivate restraint. Real strength was not measured by the ability to dominate another person, but by the ability to govern oneself. Learning when not to react often required more mastery than learning how to react. Whether kata or kumite, the practice taught me discipline. Not the harsh discipline of punishment, but the quiet discipline of showing up. Some days motivation was abundant. Other days it was absent. Karate taught me that commitment matters more than enthusiasm. The willingness to train when I was tired, distracted, or discouraged became a lesson that extended far beyond the dojo walls.
Another unexpected gift was learning how to fail. Mistakes were inevitable. A stance would be incorrect. A movement would be forgotten. A test would not go as planned. Failure was not viewed as an ending but as information. The dojo became a place where errors were revealed, accepted, and corrected. That perspective proved invaluable in life, where setbacks are unavoidable but growth remains possible.
I don’t ever recall having a short fuse or an inability to stay on task. The respect and discipline I gained through the ranks improved my patience and leadership skills. I was honored when sensei allowed me to assist teaching the pee-wee karate class. Assisting with the pee-wee class helped me further develop leadership skills and gain confidence which later helped me secure a part-time position with summer camp. What I didn’t know then karate embedded many life lessons between the techniques we practiced in class that would benefit me professionally throughout my career.
As the years passed, I came to understand that the greatest opponent was never standing across from me. It was impatience, ego, fear, complacency, and self-doubt. The dojo provided a training ground for confronting each of them. The techniques were important. The kata provided value in both goal-setting and achievement. Sparring sharpened skills we learned, while self-defense was an afterthought benefit. Yet, the lasting lessons emerged in the spaces between them.
The lessons endured long after I stopped taking classes. The karate techniques may fade with age and practice becoming less frequent. However; the principles remain accessible every day. Respect strengthened relationships. Patience sustained long journeys. Discipline helped us meet our commitments. Humility kept us learning. Self-control guided our responses when life presented its inevitable challenges. Lessons which were not immediately visible to my younger self. They were the lessons which followed me long after I stepped off the training floor. Most often, they appeared in moments of humility, perseverance, respect, accountability and self-control.
Many years passed since I was a karate-ka in the dojo, but I still can envision our class bowing to the instructor then to our American flag and in unison one last bow and boldly stating,
“Konbanwa. Domo arigato sensei.”
Looking back, I realize karate was never simply teaching me how to move and defend myself. Rather, it was teaching me how to live. In many ways, those lessons became the true journey toward earning the kuroobi outside the dojo.
%20EARNED%20OUTSIDE%20THE%20DOJO.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment