12 August 2026

AN ONLY IS ALONE BUT NEVER LONELY

Often, I asked myself quietly,

not out of longing or regret,

but from a gentle wondering

about the kind of noise siblings bring.

The shared secrets,

the tug‑of‑war over toys,

the comfort of someone else

breathing the same childhood air.

 

Not that I spent my days dwelling on it,

silence was simply the shape of our home.

A calm that taught me to listen inward,

building whole worlds from my imagination,

when becoming my own companion

long before I understood the gift of solitude.

 

Looking back,

childhood wasn’t simple.

Holidays echoed a little too loudly.

Our family tree felt thin,

and I sometimes wondered

what it meant to be the only branch

growing from a deep rooted trunk,

carved by immigration distance

and the quiet sacrifices of my parents.

 

Yet, those years shaped me with a steady hand.

They taught me resilience born from stillness,

independence born from necessity,

gratitude born from recognizing

how much love two people can hold

when they are building a life together

without a crowd to lean on or

offer their two cents worth of opinions.

 

Cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents,

were characters in other people’s stories.

My world was smaller, quieter,

but never lacking in care.

I learned to read people deeply,

value connection fiercely,

build community intentionally

because I knew what absence felt like.

 

Home was never lonely,

but it was undeniably singular.

I grew into someone who understood

belonging is not inherited,

it is created, nurtured, chosen.

Sometimes the strongest families

are the ones we assemble ourselves

from those we chose to bring into our lives.

 

In time, friends filled the empty chairs,

becoming brothers and sisters in spirit.

People who stood beside me

through life’s storms and celebrations.

The ones who taught me how family

is measured not by bloodlines

but by presence, loyalty and love.

 

Life gave me more than I expected,

a circle of people who expanded my world,

who softened the quiet of my childhood.

Those who showed me that even a single branch,

can grow into a wide, generous canopy

when tended with proper care.

 

Debt is owed to those in my life,

who helped me become a man

who understands how solitude can be a teacher,

connection can be a blessing

and the size of a family

has everything to do with the size of their heart

and not the size of the bloodline tying everyone together,

and be ever grateful for those who stood by me,

and will remain with me throughout

my journey in this so called life.

 


 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

WRITE ME

Name

Email *

Message *