I am a first generation American and the only child of two Hungarian immigrants. Both my parents fled Hungary around the same time but for different reasons. My father escaped in 1956 during the Hungarian Uprising. He had been a Hungarian soldier who fought against the fast approaching Russians ready to invade and absorb Hungary into the ever expanding Soviet Union. He left behind his parents, his siblings and a large extended family. My father missed out on many family milestones and events as he was unable to return to Hungary until the collapse of the iron curtain in the 1990s.
My mother’s path was different. She was raised by her maternal grandparents after her own mother fled Hungary just before the Nazi’s invaded and before the Russians closed the iron curtain. She never knew her own father. Her father had been taken captive by the Russians when she was a young girl. Decades later she learned his remains were found in Siberia at a possible labor camp site. Her mother traveled throughout Europe and South America before finding her new homeland. My mother met up with her mother in Uruguay as a teenager. It was in Uruguay she was introduced to her step-father and her half-brother. She crossed the world alone, learned a new language and embraced a new culture vastly different than the one she left. In a few short years, she flew to Toronto, Canada to live with her aunt and her young family. She repeated the entire process again, but this time learning English and its related culture.
Hungary already endured generations of upheaval. In 1920 the Austria Hungary Empire broke apart leaving Hungary with a much smaller national footprint and leaving many Hungarians suddenly living within new borders. I remember both my parents sharing their own stories of what they saw during the Hungarian Uprising of 1956. My father, a soldier fighting against the Russians, often shared stories about his story of escaping Hungary as the iron curtain was closing in on their beloved country. I felt the weight of what both my parents lived through and the strength they carried forward and start over in a new country. But this is not a history lesson. It is the story of how circumstance carried my parents across continents and eventually brought them together through common threads woven together and built a future together first in Canada and ultimately settled and became American citizens and how they raised me as a proud patriotic American with a healthy dose of Hungarian heritage instilled in me.
My parents were always my greatest cheerleader. They supported me in everything I did. Meanwhile many of my friends grew up with every imaginable trendy toy as kids and brand name clothes as teens and new cars at sixteen. Their parents saw these things as part of raising an American child. My parents saw things differently.
To this day, I recall asking about getting paid for chores like my friends. Both my parents questioned the idea. Chores were my contribution to the household. They paid for my necessities as a child but as I grew older my wants became greater than my needs. Those wants and anything beyond needs became my responsibility. They never forced me to get a job but encouraged me to learn work ethic and fiscal responsibility. They suggested the local burger joint or grocery store. I started working at Publix (a local grocery chain) at fourteen then shortly after left to work at the local YMCA.
As I got older, I noticed how differently my friends were raised. They earned allowances for chores and grades. They had curfews. They hosted sleepovers. Their parents invited friends to join them for dinner and to weekend trips to the Keys or the Central Florida theme parks. My parents treated my friends warmly but their views were shaped by their own upbringing. They did not understand why anyone would eat dinner at a friend’s house instead of their own or why a child would sleep in someone else’s home when they had their own bed. I tried to explain these were sort of rites of passage for American youth. Eventually they allowed me to participate in both and on rare occasions allowed me to host a sleepover with a friend.
My parents believed in a tough love but not in the authoritarian sense. Their values were shaped by survival not strictness. I never resented them. I admired them. They left their homeland to start a new life learn a new language make new friends and build a future with nothing but resolve and hardiness. My closest friends admired them too. Those who visited regularly still stop by to say hi to their “Mom.” They did the same when Dad was alive. My parents showed more compassion and outward love than many of my friends’ own parents.
My father was an auto mechanic and could have found a handyman special car which he could have easily fixed for me in time for my 16th birthday. But both my parents agreed that I would only get my driver’s license once I proved I could afford the insurance difference and upkeep. My part time job paid $3.15 an hour. I earned less than fifty dollars a week during the school year. Summer allowed more hours but I still did not get my license and first car until two weeks before starting community college. One of my first supervisors at the YMCA shared during a training about the retirement plan and how we should put a percentage of our pay into it. We all laughed knowing very well we were high school teenagers making just enough money to do things with our friends. He explained a detail savings plan and shared with us how even if we left the YMCA after high school, they money would stay there and keep earning interest until we were ready to take a lifetime benefit when we retire as early as fifty-five years old.
Grades were treated the same way as chores. They were expectations not transactions. Friends were paid for ‘As’ and ‘Bs’ and grounded for ‘Ds’ and ‘Fs’. My parents never punished me for a bad grade or two if I showed sincere effort. A ‘D’ in math was tolerated much better than one in literature. They understood my strengths and weaknesses. They praised good grades and helped me create action plans when I struggled.
Curfews were simple. There was no reason to be out past ten without adult supervision. I never had a bedtime after grade six. They believed it was my responsibility to manage my sleep so it would not interfere with school. There was no discussion, this was just the expectation that they were flexible in my bedtime at home but being out with friends without adult supervision was different.
Dinner was sacred. Mom cooked every night and we ate together as a family. On rare occasions Dad picked up a pizza after a long day’s work. That was our time to share our days activities and happenings. Invitations for lunch were acceptable if celebrating a friend’s birthday but dinner was family time. Play dates were arranged before or after meals to avoid imposing on another family’s meal times. I learned most my friends didn’t eat together let alone have home cooked dinners every night. Many of my friends a can of soup and sandwich and not eating together as a family was more the norm.
Invitations to family events and weekend trips were treated the same way. My parents felt it was an imposition on another family’s time. I politely declined most invitations. By the time they allowed me to go I was already deep into my part time job and rarely took time off.
Growing up different than my peers did not leave me disadvantaged. It left me better equipped in ways I only understood later. While my friends were handed new cars at sixteen, I learned how to earn one. While they were paid for chores, I learned that contribution is part of belonging. While they stayed out late, I learned how to respect boundaries and keep myself safe. While they drifted through adolescence with little responsibility, I learned how to show up for work on time how to save money and manage my own needs and how to build trust with adults. My friends were raised with abundance but I was raised with purpose. I entered adulthood already knowing how to navigate hard conversations and how to care for aging parents. I learned how to stay steady during loss and build friendships that last decades. My part-time job taught me to lead with humility. I grew up different but I grew up prepared. My parents did not give me everything but they gave me what mattered.
Looking back now I see that my life was shaped less by what I had and more by what I learned. I grew up in a home built from resolve and quiet love. My parents taught me responsibility before reward. They taught me presence before convenience. They taught me that family is not measured by size but by devotion. Those lessons carried me through every season of my life. They steadied me during loss. They guided me through decades of service. They helped me build friendships that became nothing less than my chosen family. They shaped the way I walked into retirement with gratitude instead of fear. I grew up different than my peers but I grew up prepared for the world in ways I never understood until adulthood. My parents gave me a life rooted in courage and shaped by purpose. Everything I have become is an extension of what they carried and what they overcame. Their story did not end when they left Hungary, it continued in me.
I did not grow up with the kind of childhood that fit neatly into the American mold. My life began in a home shaped by two people who had already survived more than most of my friends would ever imagine. Their stories were stitched into the walls of our home. Their courage lived in the quiet routines of our days. I learned early that love could be steady without being loud. I learned that responsibility could be a gift. I learned that presence mattered more than possessions. While my friends raced through adolescence with abundance at their fingertips, I was being taught how to build a life with intention. I did not know then how much those lessons would carry me. I did not know how they would prepare me leadership, friendship, service and retirement. They preparepd me for becoming the man I eventually became. I only knew that my parents had given me something different than what my friends’ parents gave them.
Something
quieter. Something stronger. Something stable.
Something
that would follow me long after their days are done.
This
story begins with them but it unfolded in me and the life I learned to live.

No comments:
Post a Comment